Python to Perl Conversions

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu Aug 19 14:29:40 EDT 1999

Quoth jblaine at shell2.shore.net (Jeff Blaine),
| I know what version of Python I am running, and I know where the docs
| for that version are.  Using Python 1.5.x and expecting a book which
| is several years old (and based on 1.4) to be your source of
| day-to-day reference seems pretty silly if you ask me.

Worth pointing out it wouldn't be a showstopper, though.  There would
be some rough spots (changes in exception handling come to mind), but
overall I think the PostScript (library, reference, tutorial) doc from
1.1 would be pretty much on target (happens to be the first version I
remember.  This core stability is itself a virtue of Python, but I wonder
if it has inhibited the development of the documentation.)  Now if you
wanted to produce a comprehensive article on the features missing from
Python, you certainly would be missing a bet not to refer to current
documentation, but that's an unusual objective.

	donn at u.washington.edu