Unsorting(randomizing) a sequence

Charles G Waldman cgw at fnal.gov
Thu Aug 19 11:58:31 EDT 1999

Tim Peters:
 > Me:
 > > Another, more straightforward way to test sampling strategies is just
 > > to keep track of how many times each permutation comes up.  However,
 > > since N! gets so large, it takes too long to build up decent
 > > statistics this way.
 >
 > I'll save you a near-infinity of work, then <wink>:  Python's Wichmann-Hill
 > uniform generator has a period of around 1e12 to 1e13.

Thanks for the labor-savings.  The point I was getting at however was
that even with a perfect random number generator, if you're not
careful, you can write a function to turn those random numbers into
permutations which does not evenly distribute across the space of
permutations - for example favoring even permutations over odd
permutations, etc.  The goodness of the random-number generator is
another issue...

I really should go off and read more Knuth; as Dan Schmidt pointed out
all of this is discussed there; rather than devising clever
statistical tests, it's far better to *prove* from first principles
that the algorithm is correct.

 Since the point at