'if' as a _function_, in Scheme and Python

Steve Schafer pandeng at telepath.com
Fri Aug 20 02:01:45 EDT 1999

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:24:25 GMT, Barry Margolin
<barmar at bbnplanet.com> wrote:

>No.  Remember that then-branch and else-branch are thunks.  It doesn't
>matter whether you evaluate them, they don't do anything until you *call*
>them.

Yes, but that doesn't negate what I said--it's not equivalent to IF
(since IF doesn't require that you wrap the expressions in thunks).

Essentially, you're changing the problem to fit your solution. I guess
I don't really see any point in doing that.

-Steve