Writing data to a pty file descriptor

Aaron Rhodes aarhodes at cisco.com
Mon Aug 23 20:02:19 EDT 1999

Pythoners,

I'm trying to write data to a pty (pseudo terminal).
I'm using the pty module (pty.writen) after forking a
child with a controlling terminal, execing the shell, etc.
(similar to what Expect does or the code in Ch.19 of
Stevens' Advanced Programming in the UNIX environment)

I'm not sure why but I can't write certain characters
to the pty. I've written the following command to the pty to set
up for a file input from the shell command line.

$ cat > file.uue << EOF

However, as soon as I try to write certain characters,
the shell seems to interpret them incorrectly.  One
character that does this is the back-tick -- `
character.  This seems odd to me since I can input
the characters from stdin just fine... but not by
writing to the pty directly.
Any ideas about why a write to the pty from python
would fail?

Aaron

--
Aaron Rhodes