Slow python on particular computer

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 28 00:03:18 EDT 1999

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:05:50 -0500, "Gordon McMillan"
<gmcm at hypernet.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

> Paul Prescod wrote:
>
> > Has anyone seen a case where Python runs REALLY, painfully slowly on
> > an otherwise spritely Windows 95 machine? It takes something like 8
> > seconds to launch the interpreted and parse a 10 line program.
> > Something must be mis-configured.
>
> Disk fragmentation is the most likely problem. Maybe registry
> pollution, especially if you're using COM.

	I'd add a configuration in which ALL "free" RAM was sucked up as
disk cache, which means loading anything new requires first purging
loads of RAM out to disk to make room. (First thing I did at work after
my snail [90MHzPentium] was converted to W95 was run Sysedit and add the
vcache section -- after that it no longer to two minutes to load an
application).