More random python observations from a perl programmer

Guido van Rossum guido at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Aug 19 14:52:53 EDT 1999

Tom Christiansen <tchrist at jhereg.perl.com> writes:

> I only have the Lutz book.  I don't have manpages. :-(

Tom, I've skimmed this thread and I think you have expressed your
desire for Python documentation formatted as man pages a more than
sufficient number of times.

The argument that there is no online documentation has been amply
refuted -- your only remaining complaint must be that they aren't
there in your preferred format.  Tough.

Please let the issue go.  As we say, you are welcome to fix it
yourself.  We'd even accept a Perl script that turns our latex (soon
to be SGML or XML) into man page format.

Since you're an O'Reilly author, I'm surprised you didn't base your
(otherwise excellent) Perl/Python guide on the much more recent (April
99) Learning Python by Mark Lutz and David Ascher.  It would have
saved you a whole bunch of pitfalls.