Python tkinter with Tcl/Tk 8.1?

foo foo at bar.com
Wed Aug 11 16:48:24 EDT 1999

I could not find any documentation on this in the FAQ or the tkinter pages,
so I am asking here. I have had to move to Tcl/Tk 8.1 for another software
package I am using on my computer. I have rebuilt Python 1.5.2 after getting
the new Tcl/Tk installed and (no great surprise) tkinter does not seem to
work (I can successfully import Tkinter from the python command line, but
attempting to run Tkinter._test() crashes python due to access violations
(reading wild pointers).

Is it possible to build the tkinter module successfully with Tcl/Tk 8.1?

Thanks,
Jonathan