Any clues to source of this delay?

Bill Tutt billtut at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 5 23:12:52 EDT 1999

Windows does indeed support this socket option.
Here's what MSDN has to say about the option (in order to fill in all of the
icky details):

TCP_NODELAY
The TCP_NODELAY option is specific to TCP/IP service providers. The Nagle
algorithm is disabled if the TCP_NODELAY option is enabled (and vice versa).
The process involves buffering send data when there is unacknowledged data
already in flight or buffering send data until a full-size packet can be
sent. It is highly recommended that TCP/IP service providers enable the
Nagle Algorithm by default, and for the vast majority of application
protocols the Nagle Algorithm can deliver significant performance
enhancements. However, for some applications this algorithm can impede
performance, and TCP_NODELAY can be used to turn it off. These are
applications where many small messages are sent, and the time delays between
the messages are maintained. Application writers should not set TCP_NODELAY
unless the impact of doing so is well-understood and desired because setting
TCP_NODELAY can have a significant negative impact on network and
application performance.

Bill