can some one help a newbie?

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Fri Aug 20 18:21:58 EDT 1999

[This is probably a troll, but whattheheck]

In article <vdgv3.13036$x04.783764 at typ11.nn.bcandid.com>,
Daryl Zero <Wobbler78 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>I was wondering what is the diffrence between python and perl and what can
>you do with perl scripts and cgi on the web?

You are posting to comp.lang.python; if you want to learn about Perl,
check out comp.lang.perl.misc.  Perl and Python are overall, more
similar than different: both are interpreted, high-level, procedural
langauges with some object-oriented features and a lot of publicly
available modules for performing routine tasks.

Overall, if your background is as a sysadmin using shell scripts, grep,
awk, sed, and so on, you'll find Perl a bit easier.  If your background
is mostly as a programmer (C++ or Pascal), you'll find Python a bit
easier.  Perl is better for quick hacks; Python is better for "real"
programs that need to be maintained.

(I write this as someone with experience in many languages, having
learned Perl and then switching to Python.)
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)