syntax

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Mon Aug 23 09:39:15 EDT 1999

In article <1278776075-25895447 at hypernet.com>,
Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote:
>Xavier Bec writes:
>>
>> Why are the double dots ":" necessary after a if, for or while
>> instruction ?
>> All the others instructions are terminated with a cariage return but
>> not condition or loop ones. I know that a semi-column is facultative
>> and only used if you have to put a second instruction on the same
>> line. Why is not the same for if, etc.
>
>From the standpoint of parsing, the colon is redundant to the
>following INDENT. As I understand the history, their usage is
>mandatory because of user testing done on ABC, which was one of a
>host of influences on the design of Python.
>
>For some reason, the dominant hominid specie of planet Earth is
>uncomfortable without a certain level of redundancy. Some members
>thereof have taken this predeliction to ridiculous extremes, creating
>languages such as "Java".
			.
			.
			.
Fredrik labeled the controlled dimension "readability".
As I understand the description, it specifically has to
do with accessibility for *beginners* in a language.
This inspires two reactions:
1.  We need a word to distinction the quality
    that people-who-don't-already-know-it-can-
    read-it.
2.  Maybe this'll help sharpen the sniping
    between proponents of Python and Java
    syntaxes about how the latter is slanted
    *too* much toward newbies.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX