How to sell Python to your boss?

Mike Steed msteed at altiris.com
Thu Aug 19 13:46:04 EDT 1999

My take would be:

a) Argue that you could quickly develop a prototype in Python and then
rewrite it in C once you have it working (although in reality you have no
intention of doing this).

b) Once it is done, you have a decent chance of convincing him that the
maintenance will be much easier in Python -- including the time for other
developers to learn the language -- if you compare some of the clean, easy
Python code to its equivalent C ugliness (sounds like string parsing is one
good candidate).

And then buy him a copy of _Learning Python_ to give to the future
maintainers.  They won't be sorry.

-Mike