UML

Robert Land 101665.216 at compuserve.com
Tue Aug 24 11:32:03 EDT 1999

Thanks for your reply Bill.
I'm afraid I still cannot imagine what the UML looks like - I cannot
take hold of it. Remarkably almost everyone wrote simular
explainations - so there isn't much more to talk about without losing
the global view.
I'll try it the other way around. Is the UML something like a OO
Database or something like XML? Or anything in between?

I tried variuos links on the Internet, some were dead - but the most
led to a book advert. Two books seem to suite for my poor knowledge in
this area:

1.) Object Primer(Scott W. Ambler SIGS Books/
     Cambridge University Press, 1995)
2.) UML in a Nutshell (OReilly)

Which - or would you recommend both?

I started documenting my work on AI in a simple word processor, then
thinking of creating a database (to get hold of the code and my
thoughts) and recently I heard something about CASE tools and UML.
I'm really in great need of a tool which helps me to keep overview and
organize my work.

Some aditional questions:

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:17:30 -0400, ScherBi at BAM.com wrote:

>I use UML, via ObjectDomain (www.objectdomain.com).
>I am involved in developing ....
>.. In other words, create classes and class diagrams in
>UML, design the class interfaces, and play around with the design at this
>level.  When you think you have it right, generate the stub code and fill in
>the methods.  You can fill in the methods without getting caught up in the
>interface issues, which makes things much easier.

Feels like UML is a sort of IDE??

>..where you understand the hierarchy and the operations, then
>reverse engineer it into objectdomain.  You can then automatically generate
>a class diagram.

Something like a class browser used in C/C++ IDE's like Watcom?

>And no, I don't work for ObjectDomain.  It's the only UML tool I know of the
>generates and reverse engineers Python.  OD is written in Java.  I don't

Whats so wrong about Java? When you use different OS's - Java should a
logical way to go.

Thanks for your patience

Robert

*(kopy of email and news followup are identical)