Why use Python when we've got Perl?

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sun Aug 15 15:31:50 EDT 1999

In article <2GJsiHANGbt3Ew6i at jessikat.demon.co.uk>,
Robin Becker  <robin at jessikat.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Lets face it; the perlers have a fairly hopeless position when it comes
>to defending the perl language (I once described perl as being like awk
>on steroids and lsd).

Not really.  While there's lots to dislike about Perl, there's also some
things it does very nicely.  For example, it'd be really cool in Python
if I defined a function foo() and it could distinguish between each of
the following:

   x = foo()
   y = [ foo() ]
   z = { foo() }

Basic Perl is in some ways easier to pick up than Python for someone who
is a sysadmin but not a programmer.  Also, while it's easier to write
good Python programs, it's easier to debug Perl programs -- I'm not
counting IDLE because it requires a GUI.

Arguing over whether Python is "better" than Perl is like arguing over
whether European food is better than Asian.
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)