What's a good way to get my IP from Python?

Michael P. Reilly arcege at shore.net
Tue Aug 10 13:50:54 EDT 1999

Aaron Rhodes <aarhodes at cisco.com> wrote:
: Hello,

: Does anyone know of a really good way to determine the
: IP address of the ethernet cards on a Linux system
: using Python only (i.e. no C code/parsing external binaries, etc.) ?

Hopefully this is portable, but my work PC is down and don't have
access to a Mac; but theoretically it should be.

  import socket
  def my_ipaddr(interface_hostname=None):
    # give the hostname of the interface you want the ipaddr of
    hostname = interface_hostname or socket.gethostname()
    s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
    s.bind(hostname, 0)
    ipaddr, port = s.getsockname()
    s.close()
    return ipaddr  # returns 'nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn' (StringType)

You aren't connecting to anything so this _should_ work even if you are
not on a network at the time (PPP), the interface just needs to be
plumbed and initialized.  The begged question would be: how do you get
the hostnames of multiple interfaces from within Python.  Anyone have a
good answer for that?

  -Arcege