Fuzzy string matching?

Hans Nowak hnowak at cuci.nl
Thu Aug 26 13:44:56 EDT 1999

...Anyone know of such a beast in Python?

The background is this... I want to write a deck managing program for
Magic the Gathering (or other CCGs or similar games). The program has
a collection of cards it knows (ideally, all kinds of cards in
existance). Now I want people to enter decks, by entering names of
cards. However, since some card names are quite difficult or have
funny characters in them, I expect that some of their input will not
be recognized in the card database. In such cases, I would like to
present the user with a list of card names which match the input
closely, but not entirely... strings that 'almost match'. OK, so it's
just a fuzzy string match. Is such a thing done in Python already? If
not, would it be difficult to do? (I obviously don't how to do it
myself otherwise I would have done so already... :-/  )

TIA,

--Hans Nowak (zephyrfalcon at hvision.nl)
Homepage: http://fly.to/zephyrfalcon
Python Snippets: http://www.hvision.nl/~ivnowa/snippets/