Turing Compliant?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Aug 31 23:21:36 EDT 1999

Christian Tismer <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com> écrit:

> Well, this is not so hard: Emulate the "infinite tape" by a class which
> is able to read and write from removeable disks, and whenever a partial
> tape end is hit, let the user "insert a new disk" on demand.
> Which is of course limited by money.

And also, by the number of elementary particles in the whole universe.
That is, not enough for Python to merely hold the value of Ackerman(4, 4).
But a Turing machine can "easily" compute that number.

Unless I miss something basic, Turing completeness considerations for
programming languages look, how should I put it, _slightly_ pedantic. :-)