if you want POSIX, import posix, not os

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Aug 19 06:00:57 EDT 1999

James Logajan <JamesL at Lugoj.Com> wrote:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> > This module [os] provides a more portable way of using
> > operating system (OS) dependent functionality than
> > importing an OS dependent built-in module like posix
> > or nt.

note that I didn't really write that -- I just quoted
the handbook.

> Only MS would fix something that wasn't broken. But when there is a
> world to conquer.... I vaguely recall once hearing Bill Gates saying Unix
> was going to be the OS of the future. This was back when MS pushed
> Xenix as THE robust OS; before DOS really came on the scene.)

I recall reading somewhere that back in the old days,
Microsoft did most development on Unix/68k boxes of
their own design.  that was before a bunch of guys
decided to start a company to sell the Stanford
University Network computer to a wider audience.
things could have been quite a bit different...

> This was back when MS pushed Xenix as THE robust OS.

Xenix was quite cool.  we ran multiuser system on
8 MHz 286 boxes in the mid-eighties.  much faster
than the Z80 systems our customers had used be-
fore that ;-)

</F>