fully qualified hostname ?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Aug 26 15:46:50 EDT 1999

In article <199908261822.AA01099 at ch1d2833nwk>,
Ted Horst  <Ted.Horst at wdr.com> wrote:

>What is the best way to get the fully qualified hostname in python (ie
>hostname.domainname) ?
>
>A portable solution would be ideal, but I would settle for Unix only.
			.
			.
			.
There's a lot of ambiguity in the question of which
you're not aware.  A perfectly well-behaved network
host might have several fully-qualified hostnames,
or none.  One can even make a case that a single
host is best known by different names on different
ports.

So:  you're definitely entering the land of some-
what sloppy heuristics.  The first thought that
occurs to me is a reverse DNS lookup; is that ade-
quate to your situation?

Note, also, that many Python instances run on host-
nameless hosts.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX