why are dlopen flags different between 1.5 and 1.5.2?

Jean-Claude Wippler jcw at equi4.com
Sat Aug 7 10:55:14 EDT 1999

Bill Janssen wrote:

> After a fair amount of grief, I found out that while Python 1.5
> specified RTLD_GLOBAL in its call to dlopen (in Python/importdl.c),
> Python 1.5.2 does not.  Is there any particular reason to change this?

Make that double the grief, please - it bit me too, when building the
Minotaur cross-language scripting extension.  Ended up editing Python
1.5.2 and rebuilding (and mucking with the makefile to end up with a
shared lib version of Python under Linux - but that's another thread).

Michael Hudson followed up by mentioning that RTLD_GLOBAL was discussed
here before.  If a shared lib has conflicting entry points, can't the
person who needs it write a wrapper extension which loads that offending
shlib without RTLD-GLOBAL?  I hope the onus of dealing with such a
conflict can be on the trouble-makers, not everyone else?  I haven't
looked into prior discussions, and may be missing the point completely
(yah, it happens, a lot).

-- Jean-Claude