emacs with python mode

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Thu Aug 26 12:04:31 EDT 1999

    Jeff> "Gerhard W. Gruber" wrote:

    >> I'm using Xemacs 21.0 Beta (August 1998) on Win32 and it works quite
    >> fine (is there a newer version out there?). Now my real
    >> question. When I'm using Python emacs recognices the mode but it
    >> doesn't automatically activate syntax highlighting,

    Jeff> I'm not very knowledgable about emacs, but I'm using
    Jeff> XEmacs on NT for Python editing.  Below are some settings
    Jeff> in my home .emacs that you might find useful.

    Jeff> (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)

I believe this is the key setting.  If indent-tabs-mode is nil, Emacs will
only use spaces to generate indentation, so your code should work on
different machines, regardless of the size of a tab.

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...