C's isprint() concept?

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Mon Aug 16 19:53:45 EDT 1999

In article <37B8A265.8A9EAC69 at vision.arc.nasa.gov>,
Chad Netzer  <chad at vision.arc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>
>> Ah.  Interesting.  I'm using re.sub because we're still on 1.5.1, but
>> we're supposed to move to 1.5.2 Real Soon Now.
>
>Just out of curiosity, what is the biggest source of the delay from
>switching to 1.5.2?  Is it a matter of "if it ain't broke...", or do the
>changes warrant enough work (rewriting code, updatin libraries,
>etc.) that it is a big job?  I'm writing apps, and currently rely on
>some 1.5.2 behaviors, so I'm curious as to how difficult it may be
>for customers to upgrade if need be.

There were a couple of specific bugs in 1.5.1 that required us to create
a special Python package, and it will be a little tricky to back out
those changes (I wasn't involved, so don't ask for more details).  Plus
we simply haven't had the time to do the necessary regression testing.

(We've got Zope, Medusa, mxODBC, and a slew of other bits; just the back
end currently has, um, about twelve running processes.)

Overall, if your customers are running unpatched Python distributions
and have not written workarounds for bugs in 1.5.1, upgrading should be
a snap.
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)