Help! $PYTHONPATH trouble

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu Aug 12 18:08:56 EDT 1999

Erik Stewart <possum at n-space.org> writes:
| The variable $PYTHONPATH doesn't seem to have any effect on my system (RH
| Linux 6.0, Python 1.5.1).  Here's what I get after defining $PYTHONPATH:
|
| $ PYTHONPATH="home/possum/test/kwp"
| $ echo $PYTHONPATH
| home/possum/test/kwp
| $ python

You need to export the variable into the environment, or it's only a
shell variable that isn't inherited by python or other programs.

  $ PYTHONPATH="home/possum/test/kwp"
> $ export PYTHONPATH
  $ printenv PYTHONPATH
  home/possum/test/kwp
  $ python

Just to make it more confusing, if PYTHONPATH were already an environment
variable you wouldn't have had to export it, and there are several ways
to express that export, too:  export NAME=val,  NAME=val export NAME, etc.

	donn at u.washington.edu