User-defined variables / compilation

Hans Nowak ivnowa at hvision.nl
Tue Apr 20 18:14:50 EDT 1999

On 20 Apr 99, Ce'Nedra took her magical amulet and heard Jan Thomczek say:

>Hello,
>
>I´m new to this newsgroup and maybe you´ll say "Wow! What a stupid
>question..." I think you´re right-

No way... There are no stupid questions... Although that "why no +=" question
comes pretty close... ;^)

>I used to program in Turbo-Pascal 6. I installed Python on my NT
>4.0-machine.
>
>I wonder how is the procedure to define the varibles by a user like
>"readln(x);" I´m sure there is a simple way to do so.

I'm not sure what you mean... do you mean, how to write a function that is
able to change the value of x? Since that's what ReadLn does...

Th answer is: you can't. You can use a function instead; in this case, Python
has raw_input for this, and you just call it like this:

myname = raw_input("Hi! What's your name? ")

which is more or less equivalent to Turbo's

Write('What''s your name? '); ReadLn(MyName);

>Another question is: How do I *compile* the lines I have written to an
>*.exe-file?

There are some tools for this... I never used them myself though. Look into
DejaNews for 'freeze'. I'm sure others can tell you more about this.

+  Hans Nowak  (Zephyr Falcon)
+  Homepage (under construction): http://www.cuci.nl/~hnowak/
+  You call me a masterless man. You are wrong. I am my own master.
+  May a pirate chase you for your mashed potatoes!