Help: Tkinter, bad event type

Mårten Hedman Marten.Hedman at btk.utu.fi
Tue Apr 13 10:05:47 EDT 1999

Hi

I'm running Python 1.5.2c1 under Win NT with SP4 and Tcl/Tk 8.05. When I
try to run any script that uses Tkinter, even hello.py from the Tkinter
Life Preserver, I get two identical error messages:

   bad event type or keysym "MouseWheel"
   while executing "bind Listbox <MouseWheel> ..." invoked from
   <Tk library path>/listbox.tcl
   invoked from <Tk library path>/tk.tcl

I can work around this by editing listbox.tcl and commenting out the
"bind Listbox <MouseWheel> ..." statement, but I have to do this every
time I install a new version of Tcl/Tk, and it's annoying.

The same thing happened when I downloaded Python 1.5.2b2, and allowed
the installer to install Tcl/Tk. I have tried downloading a fresh copy
of Tcl/Tk and reinstalling it, but the problem persists.

Tk scripts work fine without the modifying of listbox.tcl, so it seems
to be a problem in the interface between Python and Tk.

Any help would be appreciated

Yours

Marten Hedman
Centre for Biotechnology