Is Python dying?

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Sun Apr 4 13:45:54 EDT 1999

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:45:04 GMT,
 Christian Tismer, in the persona of <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>> I think the Python equivalent are Guido's tutorial and reference
>> manual.  He did such a good job that all other books had to add
>> a lot more stuff in order to not be totally redundant.  Note that
>> there is no K&R equivalent of the library ref unless you consider
>> Unix man pages [3].
>>
>> Sorry you can't get them in bound form and put them on your shelf.
>>   -- Aaron Watters
>
>Well, isn't that an idea?
>If somebody (which needn't be Guido himself) just takes
>the standard documentation, does some touch-up of the layout,
>and turns it into a printable book?
>
>The "GvR Official Python Library and Reference Book" would appear
>with every new release of Python. I could imagine this would
>sell good, for Guido and the publisher.
>At least I would love to have that on my desk, hard-covered
>and bound, not just in electronic form or printed by myself.
>
>ciao - chris

I used mpage to condense them down to 2 pages per 8x11 sheet, and
then printed odd/even, cycled the paper throgh the laser printer twice,
bound them with those little springy plastic spiral things, and
viola, a 5x8, Reference with the tutorial, the api, &etc all at once.
 Took something a little over 100 pages. I would have printed 4 to a page
but I couldn't figure how to make mpage do the registering properly for
2 stage double sided printing.

--
Jim Richardson
	www.eskimo.com/~warlock