Help! PIL compiled into Tkinter in 1.5.2 (Tricky Bits!)

frank frank at ned.dem.csiro.au
Wed Apr 14 04:47:17 EDT 1999

I'm trying to compile PIL (1.0b1) into the _tkinter module in 1.5.2's
Modules/Setup config file under Digital Unix 4.0d (from source on all
counts).

Since it might matter, I'm trying to do this under VPATH control from an
architecture-specific directory, where configure was run as:
<path to Python-1.5.2>/configure

I unpacked the 1.5.2 source into its own directory, separate from
/usr/local/lib/python-1.5, where I have the installation proper.

The Setup.in file lists the following 2 lines:
# *** Uncomment and edit for PIL (TkImaging) extension only:
#  -DWITH_PIL -I../Extensions/Imaging/libImaging tkImaging.c \

Since the 1.5.2 source is living in its own pristine directory, and in
particular *has* no Extensions subdirectory, what is the proper way to
configure  the above two lines in my architecture-specific Modules/Setup,
if I want to have PIL/TkImaging built in?

Things I've tried, and failed:

*  Building PIL in-place, under a hand-built Extensions subdirectory of
the pristine 1.5.2 source directory.

*  Hardwiring the path in Setup to my *old* PIL installation, found under
my 1.5.1 Extensions subdirectory. (I never managed to figure this out for
1.5.1 either, and so PIL isn't married to _tkinter in my 1.5.1 installaion
either)

*  Slapping John Cleese on the side of his head with a large dead fish,
next to a canal, while dressed in Pith Helmet, Khaki shorts, and Khaki
shirt. (Ok, Ok, not really, but then, nobody expects the Spanish
Inquisition!)

Any help would be much appreciated!

   Cheers,
      Frank Horowitz

Frank Horowitz;                                frank at ned.dem.csiro.au
CSIRO Exploration & Mining/AGCRC;                    Perth, AUSTRALIA