help with os.popen()

Carey Evans c.evans at clear.net.nz
Sun Apr 25 02:14:01 EDT 1999

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> writes:

[snip - about popen() on Win32]

> I'll figure this all out if I ever get a free year <0.7 wink>.

Why bother?  The Tcl people have done it already, I've had very few
problems with pipes there, and it's under a generous license.  There's
some interesting comments in tclWinPipe.c and stub16.c too, and an
amazing number of special cases.

I'd be eternally grateful[1] if pipes worked as well in Python as they
do in Tcl, although I suppose I could try rewriting tclWinPipe.c using
the Win32 extensions.  Actually, it would be quite nice if I could
just get the return value from os.system() or os.spawnv() like I can
from Tcl's "exec".

[1] I'd buy the author a drink if I met them, anyway.

"these are not inherent flaws in [NT] -- they don't happen by accident.
 They are the result of deliberate and well-thought-out efforts." - MS