newbie questions (Python vs. Perl)

Phil Voris noSPAMpvoris at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 4 23:29:42 EDT 1999

[I'm sorry -- I'm sure this is a frequently addressed issue on this
site....]

I've been using Perl for several months and don't find its syntax
troublesome.  I like its speed considering I don't have to use C
constructs (and memory management).  I'm considering learning Python for
several reasons; but have questions and concerns:

1) I hear it's the best for learning OO.  I have heard high praise of
Eifel as well, but information on it seems to be scarce at best.  (I
have C and Perl experience)  Will Python take me to the next level in
terms of understanding OO?

2) Use in the 'real world.'  Are companies really using Python?
Articles suggest that Python is preferable to Perl because it's better
for prototyping and more suitable for team projects (than Perl).  In
your opinion(s), has this been a major factor in choosing Python, or is
it more enjoyable to program in (than Perl)?

3) Speed.  How much slower is Python than comparable Perl?  I have read
about compiling Python as C or Java and ask myself how this code
compares to code written directly in those languages.

Your comments are appreciated.  My pet Antaresia childreni thanks you as
well.