Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python

remove 'x" to send me e-mail festus at altavista.netx
Wed Apr 28 23:45:38 EDT 1999

jkraai at murl.com wrote:

>How can I help whom when purchasing Python books?
>
>Haven't seen enough about this on the list lately & thought
>it should come up again.
>
>I see on python.org a link to Amazon.  I've seen in the
>past that such links can generate a percentage to the
>linking page.
>
>If I buy via this link, will python.org get something from
>Amazon?
>
>If not, who does/can?  If python.org can't get it, I'd like to
>see that Mark Lutz gets a little more compensation for
>his efforts.

I'd rather direct it to myself, personally. Mark Lutz, God bless him,
isn't starving, so far as I know, so I'll do myself a turn, to keep my
own family from starving. I suspect he gets a per-copy fee based on
sales -- regardless who sells them.

What about python.org? What does their balance sheet look like? Does
anybody know or is this just an assumption that they are living on
barely-get-along street? Are they being funded by the Chinese military
like the US Democrat party? Well, beggars get what they ask for --
pennies from a few folk. Do beggars do better in the Nederlands? (as
opposed to the US?) What would a python app looked like that graphed,
with tkinter, relative giving among the Dutch, Europeans overall, and
Americans? Could Canadians make up any shortfall? Could we invoice the
Australian government for a million or so and not have them notice?

www.fatbrain.com wants $23.95 for "Learning Python." I don't know who
runs this outfit, but they look suspiciously like an adjunct of
amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com. I saw an ad for this outfit in the
latest PC Magazine, so I thought I'd check them out. Adios,
fatbrain.com.
www.bookpool.com wants $19.95 for "Learning Python."
www.amazon.com wants $17.97 for "Learning Python."
www.barnesandnoble.com wants $23.96 for "Learning Python."

I was shocked that amazon.com beat bookpool.com on a computer book --
especially since I had ordered copies from bookpool.com and thought my
shit didn't stink. Turns out it does. Shockeroo!