Quick fix to add "+="

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Apr 17 00:59:29 EDT 1999

[Fuming Wang]
> I have searched dejanews. They don't like the "+=" characters. Could you
> be more specific about how to modify the interpreter? I desperate
> here.:)

There's a Python ToDo entry open on this; it may (or may not) be introduced
in Python2; last time this went around was late last August, in thread "Why
no += operator, please?"; modifying the interpreter was an absurd
suggestion, although that's what it would take; in the meantime, use an
editor with word completion (e.g. Guido's IDLE environment, included with
1.5.2, has this), and/or factor by hand, e.g. not

    a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.i.j = a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.i + 1

but

    x = a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.i
    x.j = x.j + 1

can't-wait-for-a-resumption-of-the-assignment-expression-thread<wink>-ly
y'rs  - tim