'import exceptions' failed

Mark Hammond MHammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Apr 19 19:23:27 EDT 1999

You are obviously investing serious time with Python, so you should try and
go to the next level.  Compile the whole shabang with Debugging symbols, and
work it out :-)  The biggest advantage is that it will give you a good
understanding of the internals, making many of these questions suddenly
become either obvious or moot.

For example, you ask how to turn "-v" on from the API - simple - go to the
Python sources, work out how it does -v, then do the same thing!  Should be
easy to find.

Similarly with the path issue.  Set a breakpoint where Python is about to
start building your sys.path.  Step through it, and understand exactly why
it is building a sys.path that does not include the directory where your
"exceptions.py" and "site.py" live.  The answer will then be obvious (even
though I have no idea what it is :-)

Hope this helps, even if it points to a slightly longer, but far more
beneficial road.

Mark.
BTW - what editor control are you using? - I happen to know this guy who has
written a really cool free one that Pythonwin now uses - Ive got some big
plans :-)