Designing Large Systems with Python

David Steuber trashcan at david-steuber.com
Wed Apr 28 03:36:58 EDT 1999

boud at rempt.xs4all.nl writes:

-> Then suddenly, the whole blasted !@#$%^&* was more than ten million
-> lines, more than hundred dll's, numerous OCX'es, and countless forms,
-> all built by twenty to thirty novices in the art of programming, of whom
-> fifteen had left the company. It's more than painful or embarrasing...
-> And it's not the first time I've seen that happen. Sorry for the rant -
-> I just had to get it of my chest. I don't think Python really insures
-> you against these mistakes.

I never heard it being _that_ bad.  I am hoping that the modular
nature of Python allows me to throw away the stuff that turns out to
be crap and insert replacement code without a complete re-write.

This is assuming I actually get my but in gear and go ahead with the
project I have in mind.  It is a project of the ambitious sort where
the word hubris is a hopelessly inadequate description of my state of
mind in even contemplating the thing.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

If you wish to reply by mail, _please_ replace 'trashcan' with 'david'
in the e-mail address.  The trashcan account really is a trashcan.

Review Questions

(1) If Nerd on the planet Nutley starts out in his spaceship at 20 KPH,
    and his speed doubles every 3.2 seconds, how long will it be before
    he exceeds the speed of light?  How long will it be before the
    Galactic Patrol picks up the pieces of his spaceship?

(2) If Roger Rowdy wrecks his car every week, and each week he breaks
    twice as many bones as before, how long will it be before he breaks
    every bone in his body?  How long will it be before they cut off
    his insurance?  Where does he get a new car every week?

(3) If Johnson drinks one beer the first hour (slow start), four beers
    the next hour, nine beers the next, etc., and stacks the cans in a
    pyramid, how soon will Johnson's pyramid be larger than King
    Tut's?  When will it fall on him?  Will he notice?