Python as an ODBC *source* on windoze ?

Richard Folwell richard at folwell.com
Tue Apr 13 17:36:07 EDT 1999

On 13 April 1999 14:57, Boris Borcic [SMTP:zorro at zipzap.ch] wrote:
> Is there a way to have Python on windows to act as an ODBC source (server) on
windoze ?

> Reason : to use the MS Access report generator component.

Can you state your problem more generally?  Reason I am asking is that it is
not clear what you are trying to do.

Python can work with databases.  ODBC is a standard(ish) way of working with
databases.  You can use Python to addto/change/etc data in databases (both
directly and via ODBC - search the Python website for "ODBC" for more details -
I have used Sam Rushing's ODBC access stuff with success, but there are other
approaches available).  You can then use Access to manipulate/create reports
on/etc such databases.

It is certainly possible to implement a DBMS in Python (check out Gadfly!), but
I suspect that you are asking a different question. (?)

Richard