Python too slow for real world

Magnus L. Hetland mlh at idt.ntnu.no
Sun Apr 25 13:31:47 EDT 1999

Justin Sheehy <justin at linus.mitre.org> writes:

> mlh at idt.ntnu.no (Magnus L. Hetland) writes:
>
> > (And... How about builtin regexes in P2?)
>
> Um, why?  I don't see any need at all for them to move from
> module-status to core-language-status.
[...]
> In all seriousness, what reason do you have for making that
> suggestion?  I am willing to believe that there might be a good reason
> to do so, but it certainly isn't immediately obvious.

Now, that's really simple -- because re.py is slow. I thought maybe
some of the slowness might be improved by a c-implementation, that's
all. Not too important to me...

--
               > Hi! I'm the signature virus 99!
  Magnus       > Copy me into your signature and join the fun!
  Lie
  Hetland        http://arcadia.laiv.org <arcadia at laiv.org>