povray.py

Dave Mitchell davem at magnet.com
Wed Apr 7 11:27:26 EDT 1999

On 6 Apr 1999, David Steuber wrote:

> mlh at idt.ntnu.no (Magnus L. Hetland) writes:
>
> -> "TM" <downstairs at home.com> writes:
> ->
> -> > Has anyone created a pov ray module for python?
> ->
> -> I have been thinking about it, but haven't done it yet... What do you
> -> think it should contain?
>
> This is a relatively off the cuff response.  But I think such a module
> should provide python classes for the POV types.  Then, instead of
> using the POV scene description language, you would use Python.  You
> could algorithmicly create a scene or animation sequence.  Then you
> would pass the data structure (a list or other sequence) to a Python
> function that renders it in POV scene description language for POV to
> digest and render.

 neat! does it have a documented API? I downloaded the source and
browsed it for a bit, and don't see any specific extension api.. if
there isnt one and you're not familiar with the code it would be tough
to deal with... Are there any similar bindings for other languages
that you could use for inspiration?

> Another thing I would like to see is a module for generating RIB
> files.  In fact, a Python RenderMan module would be quite nice,
> complete with shading language support.  Anything out there like that?

 There is one of those, by Ture Palsson, I dont know how complete it
is, see http://www.lysator.liu.se/~ture/terry.html for info.

						-dave