Tkinter performance

Randall Hopper aa8vb at vislab.epa.gov
Tue Apr 20 11:28:37 EDT 1999

Randall Hopper:
 |Greg Landrum:
 | |Suppose I need to draw a couple hundred circles and several
 | |thousand line segments (these are mostly connected, so I can
 | |1) Can Tkinter on a "typical" PC (say a P200) deliver a
 | |"reasonable" update rate (a couple of frames per second
 | |would probably cut it)?
 |The plus for OpenGL is of course the use of its display lists which makes
 |redraws much faster.  Hopefully TkGS will take off in the Tk world and
 |OpenGL-accelerate the canvas by default when OpenGL is available.

A correction.  I assumed TkGS's plan to use OpenGL when available implied
it would use OpenGL display lists.  That's not the case.  I just swapped
mail with Frederic BONNET of TkGS and he said current plans don't call for
using OpenGL display lists in TkGS.

(I asked him to reconsider this design choice.)

Randall