Designing Large Systems with Python

David Steuber trashcan at david-steuber.com
Wed Apr 28 04:00:16 EDT 1999

"Ilja Heitlager" <news at helen.demon.nl> writes:

-> To build larger systems you need classes and modules for abstraction and
-> reuse.

Python appears to have that.

-> To build proto's you need interactive programming and short code-debug
-> cycles.

Python also seems to have that.  I would like better python support in
XEmacs.  There is a python mode, but I haven't seen anything about
evaluating Python code ineteractivly the way you can with Lisp and
elisp.

-> Need GUI's? MFC or tcl/tk?

MFC???? <choke!>  I hope to seperate the functionality from the GUI to
make both orthoganal to each other.  If I can pull that off, I suppose
a Windows version would be possible for what I want to do.  I am
expecting to go straight to XLib and OpenGL.  If I need an abstraction
layer over X, it would probably be xt.

-> Networking, Parsers, XML, HTML, regex?

I am not sure if I need to use networking.  I am hoping to get
concurrent development via outside tools like CVS.

-> ehh, Python?

It looks interesting.  It is more C like than Lisp like.  I was
considering using Lisp, but for various reasons I have abandoned that
idea.  JavaScript is too weak.  Perl is a strong scripting language,
but it is a real bitch to create C++ style classes.  The syntax is a
nightmare.  I'll keep it for text munching.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

If you wish to reply by mail, _please_ replace 'trashcan' with 'david'
in the e-mail address.  The trashcan account really is a trashcan.

Drew's Law of Highway Biology:
	The first bug to hit a clean windshield lands directly in front
of your eyes.