[Python-legal-sig] Is CLA required to send and accept edits for Python documentation?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jul 26 10:04:58 CEST 2013

On 26.07.2013 09:16, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 5:47 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> You can not draw the line, because you didn't define the concept, right?
>>> You don't want to define the concept and draw the line, because it
>>> will be additional legal burden to sort changes to 'big' and 'small',
>>> right?
>>>
>>> But from the legal point of view, does really fixing a typo means
>>> you're making a derivative work and your edit is subject to copyright
>>> law?
>>>

>>> If Wikipedia required to sign CLA, there would be much less valuable
>>> content than it is now. The same is true for Python docs. If copyright
>>> laws allows small edits, it is good to know the limits to enable more
>>> contributions from people.
>>
>> Why argue about this ?
>>
>> If you don't want to sign the CLA that's fine.
>
> This assumption about me is wrong. I want to understand how things
> work before I sign them, and I don't require appraisal for my
> position.

Please read the resp. documentation about the CLA:

http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseFaq
http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/contrib-form/

The first link very clearly outlines how the CLA works.

If you have specific questions to ask, feel free to ask them
here.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 26 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/