[python-ldap] syncrepl fix for pyasn1 >= 0.3

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Nov 7 16:30:16 EST 2017

Christian Heimes wrote:
> On 2017-11-07 13:58, Ilya Etingof wrote:
>>
>> Exactly! This patch should not compromise current compatibility
>> situation, but only extend it to current pyasn1 API.
>>
>> Thank you Christian for porting the patch!
>
> Here is a new patch. I tested it with FreeIPA's ipa-dnskeysyncd.

I've looked at this patch a bit closer.

Hmmpf! We should have automated tests for all the control stuff. In case
of persistent search this is not so easy because OpenLDAP's slapd does
not support it.

I'd also like to know whether there could be a more elegant solution to
avoid all the additional if-conditions. I'm concerned that it makes
maintaining the code even more complicated.

@Ilya:
Would it be possible to try importing this new sentinel object and
mimique its behaviour with a small custom class in case of older pyasn1
version without this sentinel object?
Or could this new sentinel object made compatible with a check "is None"?