[python-ldap] FYI: Migrating from CVS to mercurial

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Tue Jul 28 10:12:24 CEST 2015

> On 28 Jul 2015, at 1:51 pm, Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> wrote:
>
> Polkosnik, Adam wrote:
>> +1 for git and github. The rest is either inferior or frustrating to contribute.
>
> The decision is very simple:
>
> 1. Python uses mercurial and I prefer to stick to Python’s mainstream.

The decision for cpython to use mercurial was made a long time back where it wasn’t clear that git would be the winner. Things have moved on a lot since then.
I wouldn’t say by any stretch mercurial is python mainstream. I don’t have stats on hand but I would say that the vast majority of open source python projects use git over mercurial. Certainly every python package I contribute to uses git.

> 2. I very much dislike this github monoculture. And I've
> experienced with SF how such a platform changes over time.

Git doesn’t lock you into github. Both git and mercurial make it easy move repos. Your only lock in is bug tracking and with apis thats not so hard to move
In the very least use bitbucket which I believe lets you either git or mercurial on the same project.
But bitbucket still lags behind last time I looked at ease of use and numbers of users.
I suspect you’re only making your job harder by making it harder to contribute to and you will likely have to move to git eventually as it’s not declining in popularity like svn and mercurial.