[python-ldap] One vote for 3.x

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Nov 29 15:42:43 CET 2011

Ilya Etingof wrote:

>> 1) Start by either getting _ldap.so to work with python 3.x, *OR*
>> replace _ldap.so with pure python calling 'ctypes' that maintains close
>> to the same interface.  The latter will probably be quicker to develop.
>> The former will work on less loved OSes like AIX.
>
> In the former case it might be more easier and robust to use pyasn1 than
> ctypes. BTW, pyasn1 seems to already be used in python-ldap for LDAP Controls.

I already considered that. But there are currently two reasons I'd stick to
using the OpenLDAP C client libs:

1. Speed: It's definitely a difference decoding large search results compared
to occasionally en-/decoding some LDAP controls. But off course this needs
exact profiling.

2. Functionality: It will be much work to implement everything, especially the
SASL stuff.