[python-ldap] problems using import ldap

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Jul 19 14:16:34 CEST 2011

Francis Abrante wrote:
> root at orbac-desktop:~/python-ldap/python-ldap-2.4.0# python -c "import
> ldap;print ldap.__version__"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named ldap

Please read the Python docs at the link I've already posted:

http://www.python-ldap.org/doc/html/installing.html

Especially find out which Python interpreter you're environment is really
using. Then type

§ /path/to/python -c "import sys;print sys.prefix;print sys.exec_prefix"
/usr
/usr

where /path/to is the full path to the Python interpreter executable you're
trying to use. See the docs above how that helps to find out where modules get
installed.

Similar when building/installing from source

/path/to/python setup.py install

has to be invoked to install python-ldap (like all other DistUtils-based
Python modules).