Problem with names that include ","

Christoph Holtermann c.holtermann at gmx.de
Tue Jun 2 13:43:50 CEST 2009

Hi !

>> Thanks for your reply and that of Marc Balmer.
>> But I still wonder if it is allowed by LDAP or LDIF-
>> Specification to have a comma in dn. I also tried it
>> with "" and Base64, some of which
>> openldap accepted.
>
> take a look at RFC 1779.  A semicolon could be used as an
> alternate delimiter and it shuld be possible to enclose strings
> in quotes, i.e. like this:
>
> dn="Balmer, Marc",ou=research,dc=msys,dc=ch
>
> But I did not test if OpenLDAP "eats" this... ;)
>
> - Marc Balmer

I just fed it with

dn: cn="Lehmann, Veronika",dc=Adressbuch,dc=christoph
objectclass: top
objectclass: person
objectclass: inetOrgPerson
objectclass: mozillaAbPersonAlpha
sn: Lehmann
cn: Lehmann, Veronika

it works fine. But the Output of OpenLDAP, when I ldapsearch it is :

> ldapsearch -x "(cn=*lehmann*)"
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=christoph> (default) with scope subtree
# filter: (cn=*lehmann*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# Lehmann\2C Veronika, Adressbuch.christoph
dn: cn=Lehmann\2C Veronika,dc=Adressbuch,dc=christoph
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: mozillaAbPersonAlpha
sn: Lehmann
cn: Lehmann, Veronika

And what I saw was : escape-codes. And I just have been told, that
it's not LDIF-conform ;-) probably they don't know ?

So my goal now is to make my filter put entrys which contain commas
in "". Does anyone know how to make Python-ldap do so ?

C. Holtermann