using Kerberos to authenticate to Active Directory from python ldap

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Apr 10 15:05:43 CEST 2009

Olivier Sessink wrote:
>> ld = ldap.initialize('ldap://foobar')
>> ld.set_option(ldap.OPT_REFERRALS,0)
>
> you saved my day!
>
> it works.

Glad that worked.

> sorry for my limited knowledge, but what does "referrals should be
> automatically chased" mean?

Referrals are basically LDAP URLs returned potentially pointing to other
LDAP servers where to look for. The client has to chase the referrals.
This is a broken concept since the LDAPv3 standard says nothing about
which credentials to use when chasing the referral. libldap by default
chased referrals anonymously.