Experiments with pyasn1 and preread control

Andreas Hasenack ahasenack at terra.com.br
Fri Jul 20 16:16:09 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 05:03:12PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 01:21:07PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
> >> Hello Andreas,
> >>
> >> I've added your demo script to python-ldap's CVS as
> >> Demo/pyasn1/prereadcontrol.py. I'd appreciate if you could implement the
> >> decodeControlValue() method with pyasn1.
> >
> > I think that would be more difficult, there are lots of classes that
> > would need to be created, I guess almost the entire LDAP specification
> > :)
>
> Hmm...do you really think so?

That was my impression when I first tried it. Since the control result
is exactly like the ldap search result value, it means it can hold a lot
of things.

> > I'll try something with openldap's internal functions, but last time I
> > hit a rock because I needed the connection object to do that, and it
> > wasn't available.
>
> I'd be interested to implement support for the post-read control in
> web2ldap because if you add/modify entries to OpenLDAP's back-config the
> DNs may be modified (due to X-ORDERED).

Does web2ldap have any special handling of the back-config entries? I
find that using a regular ldap client to handle these entries is
cumbersome (didn't try web2ldap: only lyma and gq so far).