Preparing release 2.3.1

Timur Izhbulatov TimurIzhbulatov at oilspace.com
Thu Jul 19 08:47:39 CEST 2007

Ryan Lovett wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 02:00:14PM +0200, Alain Spineux wrote:
>> Don't  forget your package is already included in some distribution
>> and then widely available.
>
> Given that python-ldap is packaged by almost everyone, (excluding
> Microsoft, Apple, and Sun) what is there to gain with this binary
> distribution effort? Would anyone using Debian/Ubuntu, Red Hat/Fedora,
> SuSE, Mandriva, etc. require this project to distribute .egg files? I ask
> out of genuine curiosity, not to dissuade whoever is interested from
> pursuing this. I have no experience with using .eggs.

Good question.

The problem is that setuptools won't detect python-ldap installed from distro
(it's not recorded in .pth files) and this prevents developers from declaring
their projects' requirements in setup.py. Providing the URL to the python-ldap
download page doesn't help because at the moment the source code has to be
configured manually before build.

I personally would prefer to build an .egg from source because python-ldap is
packaged differently across the distros. For example in Debian it is linked
against gnutls rather than openssl.

So, this is mostly a setuptools'/distribution problem.

--
Timur Izhbulatov
OILspace, 26 Leninskaya sloboda, bld. 2, 2nd floor, 115280 Moscow, Russia