Debian patches (was: error when build and install)

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Thu May 10 11:39:29 CEST 2007

Matej Vela wrote:

> If you'd like to compile your own, apply the Debian patch from
> <http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/python-ldap/python-ldap_2.3-2.diff.gz>.

This is quite a large patch set. I worry that somebody here claims to
use python-ldap 2.3 but it's heavily patched like this.
=> I won't give support to Debian users anymore. I simply can't overlook
all the changes made therein.

Note that even OpenLDAP 2.2 is set to historic status by its developers.
2.1 is unmaintained since years. So there are currently no more fixes to
OpenLDAP 2.2 and prior versions anymore. This also affects the client libs.

Instead of putting so much effort into preserving backwards compability
of python-ldap to OpenLDAP 2.1 you should rather do the work to
consequenty update all Debian packages to use OpenLDAP 2.3. There have
been so many important fixes in the client libs.