Simple test failing

Marc Lanctot sysadmin at meteo.mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 1 21:21:35 CEST 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to get pykota working with LDAP and running into problems
connecting to the LDAP server.

So, using the code I found on the website I ran testldap.py (see
attached), and the output I get is:

tsunami:~ # ./testldap.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./testldap.py", line 18, in ?
     l.simple_bind(username, password)
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.3/site-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py", line
169, in simple_bind
     return
self._ldap_call(self._l.simple_bind,who,cred,serverctrls,clientctrls)
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.3/site-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py", line
94, in _ldap_call
     result = func(*args,**kwargs)
ldap.ENCODING_ERROR: {'desc': 'Encoding error'}
tsunami:~ #

I'm using MD5 hashes for my passwords. Could this be why? How can I tell
Python-LDAP to use MD5 hashing? I find in the docs what the error means,
but I don't see anything about fixing it, nor not supporting those
hashing mechanisms...

Thanks,
Marc