authentication problem

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue May 17 19:51:30 CEST 2005

Fabio Marcone wrote:

> I've to authenticate users using python and ldap. I have this problem:
> password in ldap and password calculate using slappasswd are different
> (password in ldap was calculated using slappasswd too).

You shouldn't validate a password via LDAP by a CompareRequest. Use an
appropriate BindRequest instead.

See http://stroeder.com/proxy_auth_ldap.html for a short example using a
simple bind request.

Whether to protect against a clear text password being transmitted (by
LDAP or StartTLS ext.op. or SASL bind) depends on your security
requirements and the capabilities of your LDAP server.

See Demo/initialize.py for how to use StartTLS ext. op.

See Demo/sasl_bind.py for SASL bind requests.