LDAP sorting routines

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Thu Jan 27 09:43:44 CET 2005

Marc Balmer wrote:

> OpenLDAP specifies a set of functions to sort a result set:
>
> ldap_sort_entries(),  ldap_sort_values(), and ldap_sort_strcasecmp()

These are helper functions used for sorting at the client side. IMO only
useful for client applications implemented in C.

> I did not find these functions in the documentation of python-ldap.  Is
> there a reason they are not available in python?  Could they be added?

It does not make sense to wrap these functions since client-side sorting
of complete search result sets can be easily achieved by a couple of
lines of Python code.

Support for server-side sorting together is a different story.